Our Salt Lake City Refinery began operations in 1908 and is now the largest in Utah with a total crude-oil capacity of 63,000 barrels per day (bpd).
The refinery processes crude oil from Utah, Colorado, Wyoming and Canada to manufacture gasoline, diesel fuel, jet fuel, heavy fuel oils and liquefied petroleum gas. These products are distributed through a system of terminals and pipelines, primarily to markets in Utah, Idaho and eastern Washington, with some product delivered to Nevada and Wyoming. The refinery also supplies jet fuel to the Salt Lake City International Airport.
The refinery supplies Andeavor’s network of Tesoro®, Shell®, and USA Gasoline™ stations mostly in Utah, Idaho and Nevada.
- Expansion project completed in 2015 retooled the refinery to process more Utah waxy crude which has less sulfur resulting in lower refinery emissions and higher quality lower sulfur fuel.
- Reduced emissions by installing ultra-low NOx burners.
- Gasoline Hydrotreater restarted in 2013, resulting in a net reduction in vehicle SO2 emissions.
- Tail Gas Treating project completed in 2015 reduced SO2 emissions.
- Wet Gas Scubber project to be completed in 2017 will reduce both SO2 and NOx emissions.
Health and Safety
- Received a 2016 Award for Meritorious Safety Performance from AFPM.
- Received a 2016 Award of Merit from the Utah Safety Council.
- Employees participate in behavior-based safety program (STEPP).
- Invested over $1.5 million in STEM, Environment and Public Safety programs in the Rocky Mountain Region in 2016.
- Provide support and leadership for multiple charitable and civic organizations in the Salt Lake Valley.
- Corporate sponsor of the annual Rose Park Community Festival.