How We Got Here
Andeavor, formerly Tesoro, was founded in the 1960s as a company primarily engaged in petroleum exploration and production. The Company built its Kenai, Alaska refinery in 1969 and began shifting its focus to refining and marketing in the late 1990s. Since 2010, through strategic growth, financial discipline, strong execution and the commitment of its employees, Andeavor has become one of the leading independent refining, marketing and logistics companies in the United States.
- 1968: Tesoro Corporation founded
- 1969: Began operating the Kenai Refinery
- 1998: Acquired the Anacortes Refinery
- 2001: Acquired the Salt Lake City Refinery and the Mandan Refinery
- 2002: Acquired the Martinez Refinery
- 2007: Acquired the Los Angeles Refinery – Wilmington operations and USA Gasoline™ brand and retail sites
- 2007-2010: Acquired 300 existing Shell®-branded wholesale supply contracts, expanding operations to a total of 650 Shell®-branded sites
- 2011: Formed Tesoro Logistics LP, a master limited partnership that owns, operates, develops and acquires logistics assets to gather crude oil and distribute, transport and store crude oil and refined products
- 2013: Expanded Los Angeles Refinery with acquisition of Carson operations. Acquired ARCO® brand, ampm® master franchisee license and approximately 800 dealer-operated sites. Secured rights from ExxonMobil to use the Exxon® and Mobil® brands at retail stations in select regions
- 2014: Established the Tesoro Foundation to advance the Company’s philanthropic mission to create cleaner, safer, well-educated communities where we operate. Acquired QEP Field Services, making Tesoro Logistics a full-service logistics company
- 2015: Acquired wholesale marketing and logistics assets in Anchorage and Fairbanks, Alaska. Acquired crude oil pipelines, gathering system, transportation, storage and rail loading facilities in the Williston Basin of North Dakota
- 2016: Acquired the Dickinson Refinery and associated logistics assets in North Dakota. Acquired Virent, an innovative renewable fuels and chemicals company, to support bringing biofuels technology to commercial scale.
- 2017: Acquired Western Refining and announced that on August 1, 2017, Tesoro would become Andeavor, a premier, highly integrated and geographically diversified refining, marketing and logistics company in the western United States.
- 2018: Announced we have reached an agreement with Marathon Petroleum to combine our companies.
Read more about our latest activity.